Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Review: Hobby - Matthew Hickman





I was on Facebook asking if anyone had any recommendations for me to read. Hickman dropped me a message saying you can check mine out if you want. It's not published anywhere so I can just send you it.

I have been friends with Hickman on Facebook for a few months. He has read some of my work and enjoyed it. I've received some pretty nice reviews from him. Please note, that does not alter my review in any way. I only give honest reviews. I don't think that telling someone a story is 5 stars when it's not is a benefit to anyone, authors or readers.

Anyway when he told me he had a story I said, didn't know you write, kept that quiet!
On his message he told me this story hadn't been reviewed by anyone because it hadn't been out there. He humbly asked me not to crucify him after reading it. Which I fully understand. I'm always nervous when I know that someone is reading my work. People underestimate how difficult it is knowing that a complete stranger is reading through something you worked so hard on and they're analyzing it for faults.

OK being honest, I don't know what I was expecting. I thought that it was probably going to be OK and I could give him some constructive criticism. I always appreciate it when reviewers come back to me and say, well I like the story but you could do with improving this, that and the other.

Right, to the point. What did I think of the story?

I frickin loved it! I've got to be honest, I was a little bit gobsmacked.

It's a very short story. At around 5 pages it'll take you a few minutes to read. But the writing style drew min in straight away. I don't want to give anything away by telling you any plot details, but I'll just say that the descriptiveness in this short tale allows you to picture everything that is happening in detail step by step.

It was like stumbling across the diary of Hannibal Lecter and reading his inner most thoughts.

And when it came to the ending, I was like - woah!
I even passed it straight to my wife for her to read and she loved it too.

I think pretty much any fan of horror which enjoy this. Be warned, it's not for the faint hearted.

You can read it now for FREE here : Hobby - Matthew Hickman

I really hope this author writes more because I would be very interested to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment